.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Simple

April 10, 2006

Plugging myself

I'd just like to highlight this though:

"Every item on my blogroll to the right is read."

That is, every blog I mention on the right hand column is read by me regularly. I read every post of each and every one of them.

This is powered by Bloglines, which is lucky. I like having a feed aggregator; it makes the whole process of reading things very simple (geddit?).

The thing I find important, is that I am immune to link-swapping. Many bloggers try to build traffic by linking to others, in an "if you link to me, I'll link to you" sort of sense. But I can't do that. Blogging isn't about false building of traffic.

This post at Chronotron highlights part of the problem. It is a rant against certain sorts of sites; those sites which aren't there to contribute, but just there to generate hits.
I’ve seen atleast 5-6 sites like this and damn all of them are the same, challenge with mother, friends @ College or money for charity due to hits (Hits use bandwidth and you only have to spend money!),blah, then suddently getting a domain and a Top Paid host, posting that he can’t support the site anymore and inviting corporate sponsors, and having Google Ads and donate via Paypal.

OK, I'll admit there's some serious ranting focus there. But there's still a valid point. There are a large number of people who think that hits is all that matters. They go out there, stick the google ads on the page, and hope for the best. If they're lucky, they might even get Dugg, and then end up on seriously high on Bloggers reading lists.

Thank goodness I don't do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home